School District No. 50 (Haida Gwaii) invites applications from educators for the position of Principal to be shared between Agnes L. Mathers Elementary and Port Clements Elementary Schools effective August 1, 2018 to July 31, 2019.
Haida Gwaii, in Northern British Columbia, is an archipelago of more than 150 islands. The islands have gained a reputation for outstanding natural beauty and a remarkable First Nations culture. Haida Gwaii can provide something of interest to everyone: history, archeology, fishing, boating, hiking, cycling, surfing and more.
Agnes L. Mathers Elementary is located in Sandspit, BC serving approximately 31 students. Port Clements Elementary is located in Port Clements, BC, also with an enrolment of approximately 31 students.
In addition to possessing or being eligible for certification through the BC Teachers Regulation Branch and possessing an appropriate Master’s Degree, it is expected that the successful candidate for this position will demonstrate the following skills, knowledge and qualities:
- Excellent conflict resolution and interpersonal skills with the ability and desire to work collaboratively with the school community including parents, staff, students, First Nations Band Councils, and community;
- Evidence of connecting school and community in authentic and sustained ways;
- Intervention strategies and effective leadership and collaborative decision-making abilities;
- Knowledge of instructional supervision practices;
- Detailed knowledge of instructional strategies and programs;
- Proven ability to provide educational leadership and to motivate students and staff;
- Working knowledge and experience of Aboriginal education;
- Ability to implement the goals in the District’s Aboriginal Education Enhancement Agreement;
- Working knowledge and experience with Special Needs students;
- Knowledge of Safe Schools initiatives, coupled with successful experience.
Interested applicants are encouraged to forward a resume, statement of philosophy and at least three professional references by 3:00 PM, Friday, May 25, 2018 to:
Principal Selection Committee
School District No. 50 (Haida Gwaii)
PO Box 69
Village of Queen Charlotte, BC V0T 1S0
Fax: (250)559-8849; Email: email@example.com
The District appreciates the interest of all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.