BOARD OF EDUCATION
SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 50
TEMPORARY INDIGENOUS RESOURCE WORKER
TAHAYGHEN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
START DATE: Effective as soon as possible to June 26, 2020
SALARY: $29.17 per hour
HOURS OF WORK: Twenty-seven and a half (27.5) hours per week
The Indigenous Resource Worker is responsible to assist students and families in understanding what is needed for success in school and to facilitate better communication between parents/guardians and their schools. This position will provide intervention or prevention programs for at-risk behaviours in Indigenous students.
- Grade 12 and/or a minimum of one year of relevant college courses or demonstrated successful experience working with Indigenous students.
- A thorough understanding of local Indigenous history and culture as well as contemporary Indigenous issues.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- A thorough understanding of the educational and behavioural problems faced by students and a commitment to address those problems.
- Experience in working with children, youth and/or parents/guardians.
- Exercises discretion and confidentiality in dealing with all matters pertaining to students and staff.
- Ability to maintain individual files, records of interviews and other reports.
- Possess a valid BC Driver’s License.
Please visit our website for a comprehensive job description: www.sd50.bc.ca.
If you are interested in assuming this role and are a community minded leader with working and living knowledge of Haida culture, please submit a general application complete with comprehensive resume and supporting documents, along with three (3) professional references to:
School District No. 50 (Haida Gwaii)
PO Box 69
Queen Charlotte, BC V0T 1S0
Facsimile: (250) 559-8849
Application Deadline: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 3:00 PM
Preference will be given to qualified applicants with Indigenous ancestry and knowledge of the Haida Nation.