An employment opportunity exists in Southern Haida Gwaii for a Temporary FULL-TIME (1.0 FTE) Counsellor effective September 7, 2021 to June 24, 2022. The Counsellor will provide services to the students of Sk’aadgaa Naay Elementary, GidGalang Kuuyas Naay Secondary and Agnes L. Mathers Elementary Jr. Secondary Schools. The focus of school counselling is upon enhancing the students’ development, assisting with the development of an enabling school culture, and empowering students toward positive change.
School counselling functions include individual, group and class work to provide both an intervention and a prevention service. The counsellor:
- promotes personal and social development appropriate to developmental stages;
- counsels students, their families and the community to foster growth in the students’ self esteem, individual responsibility, and in skills such as decision- making and social skills;
- ameliorates factors which may precipitate problems for students;
- enhances students’ educational achievement through goal setting, assisting with the development of Portfolios, IEPs and activities such as promotion of effective work and study habits; and
- provides appropriate interventions to assist students with school-related problems and issues.
- A professional teaching certificate;
- A Master’s degree recognized by the College of Teachers in counseling psychology or a related discipline with a focus in counseling;
- Successful experience in the position or in a similar position;
- Proven interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with students, teachers, education assistants, parents and principals;
- Working knowledge of and experience in Aboriginal education;
- Applicants must be eligible for BC College of Teachers certification.
If you are interested in assuming this role and are a community minded leader seeking a new challenge, please submit a teacher application complete with comprehensive resume and supporting documents, along with three (3) professional references by Friday, July 16, 2021 at 4:00 PM to:
School District No. 50 (Haida Gwaii)
PO Box 69
Village of Queen Charlotte, BC V0T 1S0