An employment opportunity exists at Gudangaay Tlaats’gaa Naay Secondary School for a TEMPORARY Full-Time (1.0 FTE) Social Studies Teacher with the ability to teach an additional elective effective September 1, 2023 to June 30, 2024.
- A university teaching major, or its equivalent, directly related to the teaching position;
- Working knowledge of and experience in Indigenous education;
- Ability to advocate for students to ensure appropriate differentiated instructional strategies, program adaptations and access to other support services are in place.
- High level of skills related to successful classroom management, and to the development and maintenance of a positive classroom climate;
- Ability to deal meaningfully with differentiated student learning styles and behaviour issues, and demonstrate an ability to address individual student needs;
- Possess an understanding of and an ability to assist in the development and execution of Individual Education Planning and Behavioural Plans;
- Proven interpersonal skills, work ethic and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with students, teachers, support staff, parents and administrators;
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, instruct and evaluate learning activities for students with academic, social, emotional and behavioural needs;
- Knowledge of school-based teams;
- Understanding of local resources and environment;
- The ability to work in a team situation daily in the classroom;
- Teacher Regulation Branch certification.
If you are interested in assuming this role, please submit a teacher application complete with comprehensive resume and supporting documents, along with three (3) professional references by Thursday, June 1, 2023 at 4:00 PM to:
School District No. 50 (Haida Gwaii)
PO Box 69
Village of Daajing Giids, BC V0T 1S0
Teachers currently employed with the district need only submit a letter of intent.
School District No. 50 (Haida Gwaii) hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to qualified new hires with Haida and/or other Indigenous ancestry who have demonstrated knowledge and experience of Haida culture.