School District No. 50 (Haida Gwaii) is inviting applications for the excluded position of Secretary-Treasurer. We are seeking an experienced, dynamic and progressive business leader to take on this important and challenging leadership role. This individual is a creative problem-solver and possesses exceptional interpersonal, communication and public relations skills.
School District No. 50 (Haida Gwaii) is located on the traditional territory of the Haida Nation and services a student population of approximately 446 in six schools and is possibly the most remote area of British Columbia. Accessible only by boat or airplane, the shores along these 150 small islands satisfy a longing for solitude and offer world class salmon fishing and incredible surf right outside your door.
The Haida Gwaii communities are charming, safe and mystical, socially and culturally diverse, they encourage opportunities for individuals, reduce inequities, and ensure full participation for all in community life. Haida Gwaii also provides ample opportunities for indoor and outdoor recreation and adventure. Some activities include: fresh and saltwater fishing, crabbing, clam digging, boating, kayaking, surfing, stand-up paddle boarding, yoga, whale-watching, beach combing, bird watching, hiking, camping, hunting, basketball, volleyball, soccer, golfing, arts and crafts.
As Secretary-Treasurer you will oversee and provide leadership to the Finance, Facilities, Transportation, and Human Resource Departments, and ensure that established priorities in each department align with the Board’s primary goals and Strategic Plan. You will develop, maintain and monitor all business functions pertaining to the operation of the organization, address all corporate affairs of the Board; create and maintain all official Board records including board policy, agendas and minutes for Board meetings, committee meetings and partner group meetings; prepare annual budgets, financial statements and other financial reports required. We have a small School District Senior Leadership Team and it is imperative that you are able to work in an environment that requires you to take on many different roles.
The successful candidate will possess:
- A professional designation in accounting or business management (CPA);
- A minimum of five years of experience working in a BC Public School District;
- Superior interpersonal, communication, analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Demonstrated success at a senior management level;
- Exemplary financial planning and management skills;
- Experience in labour relations in a unionized environment;
- Extensive knowledge and experience with computer technology and computerized financial administration systems;
- The ability to work as a positive member of a team supporting both the educational and administrative goals of the district;
- Outstanding, dynamic leadership skills.
- Experience with provincial legislation compliance requirements;
- Experience with support of board governance.
Our district offers a competitive salary and generous benefits including a professional development package and relocation allowances. The preferred commencement date for this position will be July 1, 2020.
Although the competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found, applications received by Friday, May 8, 2020 at 12:00 pm will be assured careful consideration. Please email a cover letter, curriculum vitae and a list of three professional references, including all applicable contact phone numbers to:
Carey Stewart, Superintendent of Schools
School District No. 50 (Haida Gwaii)
PO Box 69
Village of Queen Charlotte, BC V0T 1S0
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note that the awarded applicant will be required to have a criminal record check completed with the vulnerable sector screen.