BOARD OF SCHOOL EDUCATION
SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 50 (HAIDA GWAII)
LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITY: VICE PRINCIPAL
School District No. 50 (Haida Gwaii) invites applications from educators for the position of Vice Principal at the newly renovated K-12 school in Masset effective spring 2023.
Haida Gwaii, in Northern British Columbia, is an archipelago of more than 150 islands. The islands have gained a reputation for outstanding natural beauty and a remarkable Haida Indigenous culture. Haida Gwaii can provide something of interest to everyone: history, archeology, fishing, boating, hiking, cycling, surfing and more.
The newly amalgamated K-12 School, opening September 2023, is located in Masset, BC and will serve approximately 175 students. The Vice Principal provides leadership and support for all manner of educational and operational activities in the school environment. There may be a teaching component to this assignment which will be determined through consultation with the District and the Principal.
The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications, experiences and attributes:
- British Columbia Teacher Regulation Branch certification or eligibility;
- A completed Master’s Degree, or in progress towards attaining one;
- Evidence of leadership extending beyond the classroom;
- A strong understanding of principles of learning, assessment and evaluation, and confidence navigating British Columbia’s renewed curriculum;
- Familiarity with restorative student behaviour practices;
- Proficiency in regard to communication and conflict resolution strategies;
- Strong leadership, teambuilding, and organizational skills;
- Working knowledge and experience of Indigenous education and the ability to work with Indigenous agencies, groups & families;
- A demonstrated commitment to action towards Truth and Reconciliation;
- Proven ability to work with parents and the community;
- High energy level, integrity, and sense of humour.
Please email your application package to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, April 4, 2023 at 4:00 pm. Your application package should include a brief cover letter, a resumé that summarizes related experience, a statement of educational philosophy, and the contact information of three professional references.
Questions can be directed to M. Madhok, Interim Superintendent of Schools, at email@example.com; or Maureen Benoit, Human Resources Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
School District No. 50 (Haida Gwaii) hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however only those selected for further interviews will be contacted by the District. Preference will be given to qualified new hires with Haida and/or other Indigenous ancestry who have demonstrated knowledge and experience of Haida culture.