School District No. 50 (Haida Gwaii) invites applications from educators for the position of Principal at Sk’aadgaa Naay Elementary School effective August 1, 2023.
Haida Gwaii, in Northern British Columbia, is an archipelago of more than 150 islands. The islands have gained a reputation for outstanding natural beauty and a remarkable Haida Indigenous culture. Haida Gwaii can provide something of interest to everyone: history, archeology, fishing, boating, hiking, cycling, surfing and more.
Sk’aadgaa Naay Elementary School is located in Skidegate, BC and serves approximately 145 students from Kindergarten to Grade 7.
In addition to possessing or being eligible for certification through the BC Teachers Regulation Branch and possessing an appropriate Master’s Degree (or in progress towards attaining one), it is expected that the successful candidate for this position will demonstrate the following skills, knowledge and qualities:
- Excellent conflict resolution and interpersonal skills with the ability and desire to work collaboratively with the school community including parents, staff, students, Haida Indigenous Band Councils, and community;
- Evidence of connecting school and community in authentic and sustained ways;
- Intervention strategies and effective leadership and collaborative decision-making abilities;
- Detailed knowledge of instructional strategies and programs;
- Proven ability to provide educational leadership and to motivate students and staff;
- Working knowledge and experience of Indigenous education and the ability to work with Indigenous agencies, groups & families;
- A demonstrated commitment to action towards Truth and Reconciliation;
- Ability to implement the goals in the District’s Framework for Enhancing Student Learning (FESL), Strategic Plan and Vision;
- Working knowledge and experience with students with special needs;
- Knowledge of Safe Schools initiatives, coupled with successful experience.
Please email your application package to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, April 4, 2023 at 4:00 pm. Your application package should include a brief cover letter, a resumé that summarizes related experience, a statement of educational philosophy, and the contact information for three professional references.
Questions can be directed to M. Madhok, Interim Superintendent of Schools, at email@example.com; or Maureen Benoit, Human Resources Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
School District No. 50 (Haida Gwaii) hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however only those selected for further interviews will be contacted by the District.
Preference will be given to qualified new hires with Haida and/or other Indigenous ancestry who have demonstrated knowledge and experience of Haida culture.