School District 50 (Haida Gwaii) Haida Language and Culture Staff Development Bursary
School District 50 is honoured to call Haida Gwaii home. We benefit from our close relationship to its culture, and its history.
The Board of Education puts Haida Language and Culture at the heart of what we do in the district. We have a responsibility to build capacity that respects the importance of Haida Language and Culture in our schools. It is imperative that we respond authentically to the Truth and Reconciliation Calls to Action.
It is in achieving this purpose that the District has set aside $100,000 to assist staff who wish to pursue education that build their skills in the area of Haida Language and Culture.
This bursary is open to any staff member of School District 50 in any position regardless of whether or not the employee is employed full or part time, or on a continuing contract.
Staff members wishing to be supported through this fund are encouraged to complete the attached application. Staff who are already enrolled in a relevant program of study may also apply to the district for support.
Applications will be regularly reviewed by a committee of the following 5 persons:
- SD 50 Chair
- SD 50 Trustee
- District Principal of Aboriginal Education,The committee will review applications at least monthly.NOTE: This funding is not intended to replace professional development funds already provided through the HGTA and District. The use of Professional Development funds for a particular
An Elder from Old Massett Band
An Elder from Skidegate Band
program does not limit any staff member’s ability to receive funding from the SD 50 Haida Language and Culture Staff Development Fund.
The committee will consider all requests for funding where:
- The program/course of study leads to certification directly related to Haida Language and Culture
- Funding is intended to support expenses such as tuition, living and travel expenses, the purchase of materials, practicum expenses, child care.
- The program or course is of a continuing nature, and
- Will clearly assist in the development of skills that will enhance the presence of Haida
Language and/or Culture in the district.
Applications, along with a letter of support from the employee’s immediate supervisor are to be submitted electronically to the selection committee to:
Colleen Bradley, Confidential Administrative Assistant
Cc’d to Joanne Yovanovich, District Principal of Aboriginal Education